Today marks one of the saddest days in Hip Hop, on March 9, 1997 Christopher ‘Biggie’ Wallace aka The Notorious B.I.G was shot down. This is a time in Hip Hop history that we will never forget. Biggie is known for his fast-flow rhythms and catchy phrases..But let’s not forget about his fashion sense. Biggie introduced Hip Hop lovers to a whole new style. The idea of mixing street apparel and high-end fashion was unheard of but he managed to do so, while staying true to his sense of style. Mentioning names like “Versace” and “Moschino”, Biggie told us what was hot. He was known for is signature “Verasce” shades and Coogi sweaters. One of ‘Biggie’s’ favorite designers was Gianni Versace, clad in silk button down and a pair of oversized black Medusa head sunglasses, we all wanted them! And some of us got them!!
Biggie made such an impact in the fashion community that even the sister “Dontella Versace” sat down for an interview with Fader and reflected on how the late G.O.A.T “Biggie Smalls” played a major part in bridging the gap between Italian designers and the hip-hop culture.
Here’s what she had to say:
“I think Biggie was amazing. He came to my shows in Paris many times, and we’d see each other often,” Versace recalled. “I loved what he was doing and how he was giving people a way to know about Versace.”
Here are few fashion statements ‘Biggie’ gave the hip-hop community.
1. Wearing dope sunglasses is always a signature statement.
2. Pairing a silk designer button up, baggy jeans and timb’s is a fashion must.
3. Repping a college you didn’t attend is okay.
4. Supporting a designer you believe in before it becomes famous is the definition of support.
5. Throwing on a good hat is cool.
6. Having a good sense of fashion at an early age, lets everyone know you’re fly.
7. Size doesn’t stop you from being fashionable.
8. Wearing a colorful sweater “Coogi” sets you apart.
RIP Christopher “Biggie” Wallace